. .
Share |

Book online

no booking fee, free cancellations up to 24 hours prior to arrival

Latest review

From 'Chalet de la Jungfrau' to 'Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof'

Villa Sonnenhof has a long history which started on the other side of the 'Hohe Matte' (High Green) in 1807, when Johann Seiler-Brunner, a hotel manager had the three storey Chalet building constructed.
During the 1830s the inn was named 'Chalet de la Jungfrau' and was located next to the Grandhotel Jungfrau until about 1880.

Then it was 'moved to' its current position on this side of the green. Every single beam was dismanteled, nummered and after moving it over here, put together again to its original construction. At particularly protected spots, like behind the lift, one can still decipher the numbering of the beams today.

After a time of change in owners and names the house was used as an elderly home called 'Sonnenhof' from 1932 to 1996.

The building became available when the elderly home moved out into a new building a few yards down the road. Then the idea and wish developed to provide for young people in this building: the idea of 'Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof' was born.

Since 1998 Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof has provided accommodation for young travellers from all over the world. Here both Swiss hospitality as well as protection of the environment play an important role in the way the hostel in run.
Hence it is always a pleasure for us to return to Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof in our holidays.

(by friendly approval of K.Berger)